Reaction:
I think that the Missing Basics speech was very accurate and I agree with it. I never realized the failures in modern day engineers untill Goldberg touched on them. Now that I have been enlightened about these common flaws I am very glad because I can work to eliminate them and be very successful.
I can relate to the point Goldberg made that some people can be very briliant but at the same time they are not as valued as someone who knows who to interact and exspress their ideas. I knew kids going through high school that were exactly like that but I was never able to diagnose their flaws untill I watched this lecture.
I also thought it was interesting how Goldberg talked about being a lifelong learner. One key aspect to being a great engineer is by asking good questions about things that you dont entirely grasp.
Improvements:
1. This semester I want to work on my responsibilty skills. I try to remember everything that I need to do without a material assistant and that is obviously a poor method.
- Tomorrow I am going to get a planner from the book store and start using it.
2. In addition on what to work on my time management. I have no incentive to complete my task at hand untill directly before the deadline.
- I am going give myself more time to get places and start working on projects before the due date.
3. Lastly I want to become better when working with a team. I like things done my way and need to be more accepting of others opinions. I need to learn to work with my peers and go the same direction as everyone else.
- The iEFX lab is a great oppurtunity to strengthen my skills and I plan on trying my hardest to be a great asset to the team.
I have to disagree with your evaluation of the missing basics on some points. I do feel that the missing basics are essential skills of engineers, but I would not say that modern engineers lack these skills or are "flawed". I would agree that these skills are not taught and therefore will be weaker, but I think that many engineers quickly pick these up when thrown into the workplace. Maybe senior engineering students have not had nearly enough practice with these skills but engineers in the workplace must use them everyday, so they must at least be able to use them. I feel the missing basics are just one more set of skills to practice like all others, they just have received less attention than the rest.
ReplyDeleteTo begin with, I disagree the Missing Basics is a lesson on the failures of engineers. I say this because engineers in the workforce must know this knowledge or they will not prosper in the workforce. I believe the Missing Basics describes the failure of engineering education if anything. Core information is taught as it should, but most curricula totally ignore the teamwork aspect of engineering.
ReplyDeleteAs you mentioned, time management is very important. Personally, procrastination is my arch nemesis. Normally I would look into how to help myself not procrastinate, but I procrastinate before doing that. Hmmmmm.
I liked that you mentioned the lab as a way for you to interact with a team. Personally I also see this as a great way to practice communicating with others and working with a team to accomplish a goal. I do have to disagree however with the statement made about the absence of the missing basics in society being the result of failure on the part of engineers. I think the course and my own opinion wants to say that it is a fault of the educational system. Communicating with others and developing the valuable traits that comprise the missing basics are not stressed in higher level education and is therefore not utilized after school in the workplace. Being a lifelong learner is also a good approach to learning. We are always learning and I feel that through the missing basics we can learn more from others.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean when you say that you try to remember all your assignments without writing them down. It can be tough, and if you're at all like me, easy to forget certain assignments. I went and got a free planner from the union as well, and since I started using it, I've been able to remember all but one of my assignments. I hope it's going just as well for you as it is for me.
ReplyDeleteJust like you, I like the concept of the lifelong learner. Being able to learn for the rest of your life is a great way to expand your horizons.