Friday, October 8, 2010

Toulmin Model


picture from www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~digger/305/toulmin_model.htm
Claim: I will wake up on time for my classes
Grounds: If I dont wake up on time I will fail out of my classes
Warrant: Statistics have shown grades are exponentially better of those students that make it to class
Backing: Its common sense that if you do not learn the material then you cannot master it for tests and exams
Modality: I have never completely missed a class since being in college but i have been late from sleeping in to much about 3 times
Rebuttal: Maybe if the class is not completely necessary or I know we will not be doing anything important that day i will sleep in

2 comments:

  1. Going to class improves grades?!?! Haha, I like your use of the Toulmin model. Maybe you could make use another Toulmin model to show that going to bed earlier helps you wake up sooner. I'm not sure that your backing is the best though, I could learn the material outside of class as well by reading about it in a book or online. I feel like going to class is more about learning whats most important and being shown common mistakes with examples.

    How early is your class that you are having trouble getting up for? If its at 8 in the morning I can kind of understand ,but if you are having trouble getting up for a 10:00 class I would be a bit worried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea for your Toulmin Model is excellent. You are completely right about the direct correlation between missing class and declining grades. I am not trying to be harsh, but the way you presented the idea left me a bit confused. You did absolutely nothing wrong, but I just think that your idea could have been presented in a more concise fashion. For example, instead of making your claim "I will wake up on time for my classes," you could say something like "I need to arrive on time to every class." While the sleeping is a main cause of your tardiness, including it in the claim just confuses your point. This is only my opinion, however. Technically, you were just fine. Overall, you did a very nice job. I also like how you included a modaity and a rebuttal.

    ReplyDelete