Saturday, September 25, 2010

Email to TA

Hello Falcon,
    I am a student from your chemistry discussion group FQ1 that meets at eleven on Tuesdays and Thursdays. With the upcoming exam this week I was wondering if you will be having extra office hours. I am currently busy during your regular office hours and it would be very helpful for me to meet with you and go over some concepts that I am having trouble with. I understand if you are busy this week and are unable to meet, but it would be equally as helpful to me if you could point me in the direction of another teaching assistant or professor that is available.

Thank you,
                  Wade Stone

3 comments:

  1. Good email. I think you were very polite in your email and wrote it rather well. I especially like that you stated that you understood if he couldn't meet with you, and that you gave asked just that he email you someone who could help you. I'm sure the information for office hours are online though and am just wondering if you looked on your own as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your email definitely gets the point across. I like the fact that you kept it brief. Many professors and TAs are extremely busy and don't have time for long emails. Your email was also considerate and straightforward. Your message was clear and you wrote with an understanding attitude. Also, I like that you thanked them at the end, because each email takes time out of their hectic schedule. Overall, you communicated very clearly.
    I am actually planning on attending office hours for a few of my classes. I have not checked my schedule yet, but I believe that I have some conflicts, so I may end up writing an email similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an effective way of getting an answer to your problem. You did not just leave it up to a yes or not answer "yes i have extra office hours" or "no i dont have extra office hours." You also included that if the answer is no, you could use help from another TA. This is effective in the sense that clearly you find it important that you get help. The e-mail was well-written in its formality, and it was concise which is important in communicating to busy people.

    ReplyDelete